The sun, the great giver of life, is our hair’s greatest enemy. Long exposure to direct sunlight can lead to faded color, dryness, and breakage.
This is especially true for those with light-colored hair, who are particularly vulnerable to sun damage. So how can you protect your tresses from the sun? To help answer this question, we’ve compiled seven ways to keep your hair safe while enjoying the summer months.
From wearing hats to using sunscreen specifically made for your hair, these tips will help you keep your locks healthy and looking fabulous all season long.
Way #1: Wear a hat or scarf
One of the simplest ways to protect your hair from the sun is to wear a hat or scarf. This will help shield your hair from exposure to harmful UV rays.
Choose a hat or scarf made from a light, airy fabric so that it will not be too hot to wear in the summer.
If you are spending time in the water, look for a waterproof hat or scarf so that your hair will not get wet and damaged.
Way #2: Use sunscreen for hair
We all know how important it is to wear sunscreen when we’re out in the sun. But did you know that you should also use sunscreen for your hair? That’s right, just like your skin, the sun can also damage your hair.
So what are some of the best sunscreens for hair? Here are a few of our favorites:
1. Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil: This product is excellent because it provides UV protection and helps replenish moisture and repair damage caused by the sun.
2. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen: This sunscreen is light and non-greasy, making it perfect for those with oily hair. It’s also water resistant, so it’s ideal for swimming or sweating days.
3. Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Sweet Memories Sunscreen Stick: This natural sunscreen is made with zinc oxide and shea butter to nourish and protect your little one’s delicate skin and hair. Plus, it has a sweet vanilla scent that will make them smell good all day long!
4. Coppertone Waterbabies Tear-Free SPF 50 Lotion: This tear-free lotion is excellent for kids (and adults!) with sensitive skin. It goes on smoothly and doesn’t sting the eyes, making it perfect for those who
Way #3: Dry hair before going out in the sun
If you’re going out in the sun, it’s important to ensure your hair is dry first. Wet hair can be more susceptible to damage from the sun, so it’s best to avoid exposing it to direct sunlight if possible. There are a few different ways you can dry your hair before going out in the sun:
- Use a hairdryer in a low or relaxed setting.
- Wrap your hair in a towel and allow it to air dry.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner or product that will help protect your hair from the sun.
Way #4: Use UV-protecting hair oil or serum
One way to keep your hair safe from the sun is to use UV-protecting hair oil or serum. These products can help to create a barrier between your hair and the sun’s rays, protecting your strands from damage.
Many different formulas are available, so be sure to choose one that is right for your hair type.
Apply the product to your hair before heading outdoors, and reapply as needed throughout the day.
Way #5: Avoid heat styling
Avoid heat styling if you want to keep your hair safe from the sun. This includes blow drying, flat ironing, and curling.
The heat can damage your hair and make it more susceptible to sun damage. Use a product that protects your hair from heat if you must heat style.
Way #6: Keep hair hydrated
One of the best ways to keep your hair hydrated and healthy is to use a leave-in conditioner. Leave-in conditioners help to add moisture and shine to your hair while protecting it from the sun’s harmful rays.
There are many different leave-in conditioners on the market, so be sure to find one that suits your hair type.
Way #7: Regular Trims
If you’re looking for ways to protect your hair from the sun, one of the best things you can do is to get regular trims.
By keeping your hair trimmed, you’ll be able to prevent split ends and other damage from exposure to the sun. In addition, regular trims will help keep your hair looking its best by preventing it from becoming too dry or brittle.
Keeping your hair safe from the sun should be a priority if you want to maintain healthy, shiny locks.
This article has shown you many ways to protect your hair, from covering it up with hats and scarves to using protective styling products. With some simple precautions, you can keep your hair looking beautiful in any weather!