Winged eyeliner is a classic and timeless makeup look that has been popular for decades. It can make your eyes look more open and defined and can be worn for various occasions.
However, achieving the perfect winged eyeliner can be challenging, especially for beginners.
This article will go through the steps and techniques for achieving the perfect winged eyeliner, from preparing your tools to set the liner.
Whether you’re new to winged eyeliner or looking to perfect your technique, this guide will help you achieve a flawless and long-lasting winged liner look.
Preparing your tools
Preparing your tools is the first step to achieving the perfect winged eyeliner. The right tools are essential for creating a precise and flawless winged liner look.
Here are some of the tools you will need:
- Eyeliner: The type of eyeliner you choose will depend on your preference and skill level. Liquid eyeliner is the most traditional and versatile option, but it can be difficult for beginners to work with. A pen or gel eyeliner can be easier to control and more forgiving.
- Eyeliner brush: An eyeliner brush will help you create a precise and smooth line. Choose a brush with a fine tip and synthetic fibres, as they are more precise and easy to clean.
- Sharpener: A sharpener will help keep your pencil, eyeliner, or pen sharp and precise.
- Eyelid tape or stencil: eyelid tape or stencils can help you create the perfect wing shape and make it easier to achieve symmetry.
- Q-tips or cotton swabs will help clean up mistakes and smudges.
Having the right tools will make achieving the perfect winged eyeliner much easier. Be sure to have your tools ready before you begin so you can focus on creating the perfect winged liner look.
Preparing your eyes
Preparing your eyes is the next step to achieving the perfect winged eyeliner. Having a clean and smooth base for your liner will make the application process easier and help your liner last longer.
Here are some tips for preparing your eyes:
- Cleanse your face: Make sure your eyelids are clean and free of any oils or impurities.
- Prime your eyelids: Applying an eyeshadow primer or concealer to your eyelids will create a smooth base for your liner and help it last longer.
- Use eyelid tape or stencils: If you are new to winged eyeliner and struggle with symmetry, eyelid tape or stencils can help you create the perfect wing shape.
- Applying a neutral eyeshadow to your eyelids can also help create a smooth base for your liner and make it last longer.
- Good lighting: Make sure you have good lighting when you apply your liner; a well-lit mirror will help you see the details and make the necessary adjustments.
Properly preparing your eyes can make applying winged eyeliner easier and ensure that your liner lasts longer. Remember to take your time and be patient, as winged eyeliner may take a bit of practice to perfect.
Creating the wing
Once your eyes are prepared, it’s time to create the winged liner. Creating the wing is crucial in achieving the perfect winged eyeliner look.
Here are some tips for creating the perfect wing:
- Choose the right method: There are several ways to create the wing, such as the dot or flick method. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with that suits the shape of your eyes.
- Start small: Start with a small wing and gradually build it up. It’s easier to add more than fix a too-big wing.
- Pay attention to symmetry: The key to a perfect wing is symmetry, so ensure both wings are even and of the same size.
- Use a ruler or stencil: If you’re struggling with symmetry, use a ruler or stencil to help guide you.
- Follow your natural lash line: When filling in the wing, follow your natural lash line as closely as possible.
- Connect the wing with the rest of the liner: Once the wing is complete, connect it with the rest along the upper lash line, creating a smooth and cohesive line.
Filling in and finishing the liner
Once the wing is complete, it’s time to fill in and finish the liner.
Here are some tips for filling in and finishing the liner:
- Use the right brush: A fine-tipped brush will make it easier to create a smooth and precise line.
- Start from the inner corner: Start from the inner corner of the eye and work your way outwards.
- Follow your natural lash line: As you fill in the liner, follow your natural lash line as closely as possible.
- Fill in any gaps: If gaps are in the liner, use the brush to fill them in.
- Make any necessary adjustments: Use a cotton swab or concealer to make any necessary adjustments, such as cleaning up smudges or correcting any unevenness.
- Check the symmetry: Check the symmetry of both eyes, ensuring that the liner is even on both eyes.
In conclusion, achieving the perfect winged eyeliner can seem daunting, but it can be a simple and easy process with the right tools and techniques. By preparing your tools, preparing your eyes, creating the wing, filling in and finishing the liner, and setting the liner, you can achieve a flawless and long-lasting winged liner look. Remember to take your time and patience, and don’t be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.
With practice, you’ll achieve the perfect winged eyeliner look in no time.
Additionally, it’s always good to experiment with different eyeliner styles and techniques, be bold, and try new things. You can also try different eyeliner colours to change up your look. Above all, have fun with your makeup and enjoy the process of creating your perfect winged eyeliner look.